What is Baclofen?
Baclofen is a muscle relaxer and can also act as an antispastic agent.
Below are a number of key points you should consider before taking baclofen. As with all prescription drugs, consult a medical professional prior to starting to take baclofen.
- baclofen can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Take caution if you plan to drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Additionally, you should not use baclofen at a time when you need proper muscle tone for balance, movement, or certain activities. Because baclofen relaxes muscles, it may create an unsafe situation when you need proper muscle control.
- You should not drink alcohol while taking baclofen as it can increase some of the side effects.
- Do not stop taking baclofen suddenly if you have been using the medication over a long period of time as this may cause withdrawal symptoms such as seizures or hallucinations. You may need to reduce your dosage gradually before you stop the medication altogether.
What should I know before taking baclofen?
Below are guidelines you should follow when taking baclofen:
- Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you, which means do not take the medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
- Do not use this medication if you are allergic to baclofen.
- Before taking baclofen, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have any of the following conditions: kidney disease, epilepsy or other seizure disorder, oral history of stroke or blood clots.
- In order to get the best results from this medication, your doctor may occasionally change your dosage.
- You may take baclofen with or without food.
- If your muscle symptoms do not improve after taking baclofen for two weeks, you should call your doctor.
- You may have withdrawal symptoms such as seizures or hallucinations, when you stop using baclofen after using it over a long period of time. Do not stop using this medication suddenly without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely.
- Store baclofen at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light.
The active ingredient is baclofen.